About the Company
The company is a clean technology company that produces value-added synthetic waxes and specialty polymers from post-consumer and post-industrial recycled plastics. These products are used in various applications including roofing and paving, plastics processing, and plastics composites
- Employees: 40
- Revenue: $50M
- Ownership: Privately held – VC Backed
- Reports into: President
- Team: 1
The role and who you are
With the combination of a fast-paced culture, double revenue growth, and the planned retirement of the current HSE Director an opportunity exists as the company continues to invest in its growth.
Reporting directly to the President, this position will oversee all areas of the company’s health, safety, and environment (HSE) strategy and tactics to ensure a healthy and safe workplace, compliant with all applicable laws and regulations. This is not a remote work opportunity, given the strategic importance of the mandate.
This position will work closely with the Senior Management Team to continually evaluate best industry practices in comparison to internal systems and needed resources, with an eye toward both future needs and budget realities. The goal is to build a level of sophistication that enables the company to continue its innovation as the organization continues its growth in supporting increasingly complex demands, and yet remain true to the organization’s culture. While this is a strategic role within the company, it is also a working Director position, as it leads a team of one (1) HSE Manager.
How you’ll contribute
It is expected that this role will accomplish the following to be successful:
1. Continue to grow the safety culture: The current period of Zero Incidents is 1 year. Increasing this to multiple years would be considered a success.
2. The company is currently running at ten (10) Near Miss Reports (NMR) a month. Success would be to achieve this NMR to 20-30.
3. The company Root Cause Analysis (RCA) process (Open to close) is taking months to complete. Success would be reducing this to week(s).
What you will need to be successful:
The ideal candidate will bring a strong health and safety background and a track record of repeated success ideally in growing start-up organizations and/or scaling a high-growth company, preferably in the heavy industry or in chemical manufacturing. This individual will either be at a manager/senior manager level today looking to take the next step in their career and be a “working director” with increased scope and responsibility or someone at the director level that is looking to become the top HSE position in a growth-innovative company. Either way, this person is a focused, tenacious, and determined professional who possesses a strong vision and will be able to highlight opportunities beyond the initial strategy in an innovative culture. This is a hands-on, get-things-done role, to be a part of developing the strategy and having a seat at the leadership table type of opportunity. As a result, this person will need to have broad experience in various areas including strategic planning, , change management, motivating, and developing high-performing teams.
Candidates must have the following experience to be considered:
- 10+ years of experience within the Health Safety & Environmental function, in a heavy industrial or chemical refinery setting.
- Experience leading people, ideally an HSE team.
- Demonstrated track record of improving HSE KPIs. (RCA, NMR, ZI, etc..)
- Good working knowledge of HSE legislation in all provinces, Including WSIB/WCB.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, or related educational field.
- Post-Graduate education and/or certification in HSE, CRSP (Canadian Registered Safety Professional) education preferred
Egility is committed to creating and fostering culturally diverse, equitable, and inclusive organizations. We recognize the value in a wide range of ideas, perspectives, experiences, and skillsets in our client’s workplaces. Our client is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessible Canada Act, 2019 and all applicable provincial accessibility standards, upon request, accommodation will be provided by both Egility and our client throughout the recruitment, selection, and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
Due to high volume, we will only be contacting applicants who meet all of the minimum requirements listed in the job description. Only those applicants who align most closely with our minimum and preferred qualifications will be contacted for an interview. The Recruiting team at Egility will retain your application materials and may contact you regarding future opportunities.