Our client is a not-for-profit leadership organization based in the Golden Horseshoe, that speaks on issues and concerns common to its Government/industry. For the past two decades, their focus is on the success, prosperity, and growth of their industry which accounts for over 35% of Canada’s revenue annually and is a sector that employs more people than any other in the province. Our client has become the “go-to” industry organization for companies seeking information and advice on the many current industry issues. It has developed strong partnerships with key organizations to build industry consensus and develop coordinated and well-articulated industry policies. It has become the public voice for the industry on critical industry issues. The organization is small but delivers a lot of impact for its members. Its staff is comprised of less than 5 people, and its Board of Directors is comprised of the whos’ who in its industry.
A leadership position designed to build and shape the association’s role as the voice of the industry.
Our client is the largest economic driver in Ontario as it relates to GDP. However, despite its size and impact on the economy, it does not have the visibility, profile, or investment dollars that should follow. There is an opportunity to build the profile of this industry within the government and with Ontarians on the basis of its relevancy and importance. This sector plays a leading role in ensuring a strong and speedy economic recovery from COVID-19.
The new CEO’s mandate is to continue to build and enhance the association’s role as the “voice of the industry”. The CEO will craft a strategic plan, build and sustain strong government and industry relations, and influence government policies, programs, and regulations for the benefit of members. With an entrepreneurial spirit and personal integrity, the CEO will develop and execute the business plan and operational activities of the association guided by the Board of Directors and its committees.
The following outcomes are the expected accomplishments that need to be achieved to be successful for the Chief Executive Officer:
- Develop 2021-2023 strategic plan for the organization; the 2018-2020 strategic plan is no longer
- Develop and communicate a clear plan to retain and grow membership’s percentage representation of the
- Drive the industry labour agenda beyond words into
- Maintain and enhance its trusted advisory relationship with government – e.g., that government will vet potential changes through the
- Determine staffing requirements for association management and program
The ideal candidate will have excelled within the association or not-for-profit industry at a senior executive level, and either has managed an association of similar size and is keen to take on the next growth/change mandate or be in a position to step up to the top role. This person will have been exposed to various functions throughout their career (government relations, communications, etc.) and can speak with inspiration and passion for the industry.
The ideal candidate will be financially astute in understating the basics of accounting, budgeting, pricing, customer management, and reporting for not-for-profit organizations. They will have successfully led a team, division, or company through change and have clear examples of building “A” teams and inspiring them to achieve results without sacrificing culture.
The ideal candidate must be a decisive leader. An individual who can think quickly and pivot when required. They make decisions sooner, faster, and with great conviction and are comfortable doing so even amid ambiguity, incomplete information, and unfamiliar domains.
As a result, the ideal candidate will have examples and experience in which they have engaged the various stakeholders for impact—making those decisive decisions while at the same time communicating a clear course for the business by obtaining buy-in among their employees and other stakeholders. They will provide keen insight into their stakeholders’ priorities with an unrelenting focus on delivering business results.
Also, the ideal candidate will know how to adapt proactively and have a growth mindset. They will be able to offer matter- of-fact root cause corrective action of where and why they had come up short and give specific examples of how they tweaked their approach to achieve the results next time.
Finally, the ability to reliably produce results as a steady hand for the board and a predictable leader for employees is key.
Preference will be afforded to those who are bilingual in French & English.
Candidates must have the following experience to be considered:
- 5+ years working at the senior level within the Provincial government, industry associations, or within media covering the Provincial government.
- 3+ years in a management role. Private sector experience in the association’s industry is highly
- Financial Management – Understands the basics of accounting, budgeting, and reporting concerning non-profit organizations.
- Government Operations – Understands the machinery of government, authorities, and decision-making processes with a high degree of political
- Communication – Understands the role and importance of media, including social media. Is media trained and comfortable being a public spokesperson.
To learn more, please reach out to Theresa.Wilson@egility.ca
If you would like to be considered for the role, please apply.